Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Being Adopted-Beginning My Journey Of Returning To My Roots


Bluefields, Nicaragua




"Once upon a time there was a little girl and her name was Julia Mariana (Nicaraguan name). She lived in Bluefields, Nicaragua
with her mother. Her mother was very young and couldn't provide for her so she decided to give up for adoption."

"Tell me again Mommy" I would state.

Sadly this is the only part of the childhood version adoption story I can remember, if its even somewhat correct. So I asked my Mom to please write down the story she used to tell me on our way to Pre School, every morning I might add! What a sweet memory. I think my memories from that story is one of the most treasured highlights of the story of my being adopted; besides my Mom of course!

Adoption and my knowledge about me being adopted has always been a part of who I am. Who I grew up to be. I am 35 now. But I must say that I have been richly blessed to have been adopted and chosen. In those days (back in the 70's) life everywhere was different. Of course you have the Nicaraguan culture that was different let alone America! Adoption was just beginning its boom on America, and the release of children from other countries were beginning to open up. How amazing I was one of them! Each child who is adopted has there own story, some stories more difficult to walk through, some more joyful. All in all, adoption is a beautiful thing and to see so many parents and families now a days decide to adopt is wonderful!!

Just last week I began the new journey of contacting my birth family. My desire in posting and recording details is very important to me now that I am older and for the sake of my family as well. 
So as I begin to post about my journey-I hope you enjoy but embark with me on this journey. There is much ahead to explore-even paying visit to Bluefields, Nicaragua this year!  

My desire is to share my story, while encouraging others who are deciding to adopt, and to encourage those children, like me, who have been adopted.

Many Questions to ask and stories to tell...
Adoption is really a beautiful thing!


No comments: